SELA Honorary Membership
The SELA Honorary Membership Committee is accepting nominations for honorary membership in the Southeastern Library Association. This designation is conferred upon living individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Association or to library development in the Southeast.
In March 1987, the SELA Board voted to make recipients of the Mary Utopia Rothrock Award recipients of honorary membership. In the Honorary Members List below, an asterick denotes the Mary Utopia Rothrock Award recipients.
- Honorary membership should be conferred for significant contributions to librarianship in the Southeast. The honor:
- May recognize persons elected to leadership positions in the Association
- May recognize persons who have made other contributions to librarianship in the region.
- Should be based upon regional rather than state or local contributions to the profession.
- The designation should recognize the contribution of an individual per se, rather than an individual representing the accomplishments of many.
- The person should be of such caliber as to reflect honor upon SELA by this designation.
- Honorary membership should be conferred as a result of a contribution of more than passing importance and local or limited achievement. It should not be conferred because of momentary enthusiasm.
- The person may be a librarian or a person in a related field.
- Only a living person should be considered for honorary membership.
- No more than five honorary memberships should be awarded in any biennium.
- Membership entitles the recipient to a life membership in the Association, with no further payment of dues.
- Should no qualified individual be nominated or approved by the committee no award will be made.
- The person making the nomination must be a member of SELA, but the nominee need not be.
Submit nominations along with any supporting biographical material to:
Honorary Membership Chair
Honorary Members List
|1954||Louis Round Wilson|
|1972||Susan Grey Akers, Tommie Dora Barker, Clara Mae Brown, Nancy Jane Day, Hoyt R. Galvin, Helen Margaret Harris, Margie Helm, Isabel Howell, Margaret Malone Jemison, Sarah Lewis Jones, Augustus Frederick Kuhlman, Virginia McJenkin, Laura Katherine Martin, Anna M. Roberts, Mary Utopia Rothrock, Louis Shores, Mary Lindsay Thornton, Azile M. Wofford|
|1974||Randolph W. Church, Dorothy W. Crosland, W. Porter Kellam, Guy R. Lyle, Martha Parks|
|1976||Elizabeth Parks Beamguard, Frances Neel Cheney, Jack Dalton, Robert B. Downs, W. Stanley Hoole, Ray O. Hummel, Jr., Benjamin Edward Powell|
|1978||J. Isaac Copeland, Miss Roy Land|
|1980||Julia Bennett Armistead, Archie L. McNeal, Lawrence S. Thompson|
|1982||Mary Edna Anders, John H. Gribbin|
|1984||Shirley A. Brother, Ann Page Bugg, Ann Wimbish Cobb, Edward Graham Roberts, Virginia Lacy Jones|
|1986||Lester Asheim, Ruth W. Waldrop, Margaret B. Kerr, Minnie Lou Lynch|
|1988||Rebecca T. Bingham, Cora Paul Bomar, David E. Estes*, A. Venable Lawson, Helen D. Lockhart, Kenneth E. Toombs, Martha Jane Zachert|
|1990||Frank P. Grisham*, J.B. Howell, John David Marshall, Paul H. Spence|
|1992||Edward G. Holley*, Mary Louise Rheay, Arthur Ray Rowland|
|1994||Wanda J. Calhoun, John David Marshall*, Gary R. Purcell, George R. Stewart, James E. Ward,|
|1998||Linda Gill, Cecil Beach*|
|2000||Mary Louise Rheay*|
|2002||Mary Glenn Hearne, Samuel F. Morrison*|
|2004||Charles Edward Beard*|
|2006||Ann H. Hamilton*|
|2014||Dr. Gordon Baker*|
|2016||Evelyn Merk, Hal Mendelsohn|